As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix a squeaky box spring- both metallic and wooden bed frames.
The first sign of an old box spring is a squeaky bed that won’t stop squeaking when all you want is to catch some good night’s sleep.
Instead of investing in a new box spring, or ignoring the problem like it doesn’t exist only to be haunted by endless sleepless nights, there are simple hacks that will fix the problem.
We’ve compiled the top 10 simplest ways to silence a noisy box spring.
How to Fix a Squeaky Bed Frame
This guide tackles different ways of how you can fix either a metallic bed frame or wooden box spring.
- How to fix a squeaky wooden bed frame
- How to fix a squeaky metal bed frame
There are common methods that can help fix creaking noises from both a wooden and metal bed frame.
These common methods apply in both cases and don’t require any additional investments. You can implement using available tools at home.
To fix a noisy foundation for good, there are few materials you need. We’ve compiled different methods that could help you eliminate the squeak- hence it’s upon you to choose the method that works for you.
- Old fabric (such as T-shirts, socks, pillowcases or towels)
1. Bolt Method
In most cases, squeaky box spring or bed could mean loose screws and bolts that need tightening.
If the squeaking doesn’t stop, you may need to add some bolts and washers to keep the wooden bed frame in position to prevent creaking.
You’ll need a- wrench, washers, and bolts.
- Flip the frame over and locate all the joint fixtures
- Use the wrench to make sure the bolts are tight
- If you hear squeak while tightening, add a washer to provide a space between the box spring and the bolt. This helps reduce tension on the wooden frame.
- If squeaking persists, add more bolds to make the frame sturdier.
2. Soften the Space
Add some fabric between the box spring and the mattress to reduce tension and disperse the weight.
Weight distribution will significantly help in this case. However, if squeaking is prominent, consider adding fabric to the actual bed frame.
You will need- screws or bolts and any old fabric, old towels or socks
- Lay old fabric between the box spring and the mattress. Make the layer of cloth even to avoid any weird bulges in the mattress
- If you can spot the exact are where the noise is coming from, it would be easier to determine how much fabric you’ll need.
- Add more fabric between the slats and the back.
- Don’t overstuff because in case of a wooden bed frame- it could break or splinter.
- If the fabric doesn’t help considers lubricating the coils, bolts and screws
3. Oiling the bed frame
It may seem an odd idea, but lubricating the coils with cooking spray or WD-40 will help fix a squeaky bed frame.
The coils will become slippery and prevent tension noises from inside. However cooking spray won’t be effective as WD-40, but if you don’t have WD-40, you’ll be astonished by the efficiency of cooking spray.
You’ll need – Box cutter or knife to open up the sides and spray cooking oil or WD-40
- Flip your box spring to access the coils
- Open up a side or cut a small hole if you don’t mind stitching it back together later
- Take the lubricant and spray along the inside of your box spring until all the coils are saturated
- Also, take apart the corner bolts and casing and lubricate the bolts too
- Make sure to sew the opening to close
4. Wax your squeaky bed
If you’ve spotted the exact spot that the squeak comes from, it’s time to soothe it with a little wax.
An easy way to do this is to locate the noisy spot and listen slowly as another person bounces/ or moves across the bed.
Once you’ve located the joint causing the problem, grab some wax and rub it over the contact point where the squeak is coming from.
It may take several coats of wax to fix your squeaky bed.
Final thoughts on How to Fix A Squeaky Box Spring
Any living creature would die from prolonged sleep deprivation. The only person to ever survive from 11 days sleep deprivation was a 43-year old gardener- Mr. Wright. (Source: Daily Mail).
Even when you do not have insomnia, minor sleep deprivation can affect your mental health, weight, mood and at times your genes.
Above are a few quick fixes to help you fix that squeaky bed so that you can sleep in peace and help your neighbors catch some peaceful sleep as well.